[Accueil] [Trucs et Astuces] [Les ratés] [Logiciels] [Liens] [Linux] [Forums]

Support D30 avec gphoto

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:30:01 +0200
From: David ROBERT 
To: gphoto-devel 
Subject: Problem with canon D30 support

Hi guys! 

First of all thank you very much for the job you've done with gphoto.

I trie to make my D30 work with gphoto,
I've downloaded/installed gphoto2-beta2 / libusb 0.1.3b

My D30 is well seen by gphoto2, the first thing whitch surprised
me is when gphoto2 access the D30 (list or download) My D30
don't write on the LCD a bliking 'buSY' and I still can push D30
buttons witch will fail everything.

The second problem is that my D30 don't work anymore after using
gphoto, I have to switch it off and on again. The D30 don't
respond anymore it's freezed. (I think the problem is binded with
the buSY problem witch maybe turn the camera in usb control mode ?).

The third problem is using the gphoto2 shell and trying to download
an image :

gphoto: {/usr/local/bin} /> get IMG_8436.JPG
core: ENTER: gp_camera_file_get
gp_port: Opening port...
gp_port_usb_open() called
[...]
canon: is_movie(D.CTG) == 0
canon: is_thumbnail(D.CTG) == 0
canon: Filename ' IMG_8436.JPG' path 'D.CTG' not found!
                 ^ I think the blank here is the problem
gp_port: Closing port...
gp_port_usb_close() called
gphoto: {/usr/local/bin} /> 


What works :
root@ombrepix bin]# ./gphoto2 --camera "Canon EOS D30" --port usb:
--list-files
canon_initialize()
Debug level: 1
Status: Detected a EOS D30
Files in /:
#1     IMG_8259.JPG                image/jpeg
#2     IMG_8260.JPG                image/jpeg
#3     IMG_8261.JPG                image/jpeg
#4     IMG_8420.JPG                image/jpeg

--get-all-images works but crashes if i touch a D30 button.


David ROBERT
Ombre et Pixel Photo
To: David ROBERT 
Cc: 
Subject: Re: [gphoto-devel] Problem with canon D30 support
From: Hans Ulrich Niedermann 
Date: 23 Oct 2001 16:43:52 +0200

Hi David!

David ROBERT  writes:

> I trie to make my D30 work with gphoto,

Nice camera :-)

> I've downloaded/installed gphoto2-beta2 / libusb 0.1.3b

OK. Both of these are quite old in respect to was has been done to the
code base after these releases. So as a rule, you're probably better
off using a current version from CVS.

But I have the impression you have hit upon all of the main "known
bugs" :-)

> My D30 is well seen by gphoto2, the first thing whitch surprised
> me is when gphoto2 access the D30 (list or download) My D30
> don't write on the LCD a bliking 'buSY' and I still can push D30
> buttons witch will fail everything.

We don't know the protocol to switch the camera to "computer mode"
yet. We'll have to find better information about to protocol in order
to do that. This is definitely on our TODO list.

> The second problem is that my D30 don't work anymore after using
> gphoto, I have to switch it off and on again. The D30 don't
> respond anymore it's freezed. (I think the problem is binded with
> the buSY problem witch maybe turn the camera in usb control mode ?).

I think you're thinking correctly.

Obviously different Canon cameras handle that differently well: My
PowerShot G2 allows me to view images on the cam while it is connected
to the 'puter. Only when deleting images, something goes wrong so I
have to switch the cam off and on again.

> The third problem is using the gphoto2 shell and trying to download
> an image :

I think the gphoto2 shell didn't work in that release of gphoto2
because the canon driver didn't use the CameraFilesystem yet. We
changed that two days ago, so it might work in current CVS. I'll have
a look at the shell during the next few days. (Or somebody else on
this list will.)

> gphoto: {/usr/local/bin} /> get IMG_8436.JPG
> core: ENTER: gp_camera_file_get
> gp_port: Opening port...
> gp_port_usb_open() called
> [...]
> canon: is_movie(D.CTG) == 0
> canon: is_thumbnail(D.CTG) == 0
> canon: Filename ' IMG_8436.JPG' path 'D.CTG' not found!
>                  ^ I think the blank here is the problem
> gp_port: Closing port...
> gp_port_usb_close() called
> gphoto: {/usr/local/bin} /> 
> 
> 
> What works :
> root@ombrepix bin]# ./gphoto2 --camera "Canon EOS D30" --port usb:
> --list-files
> canon_initialize()
> Debug level: 1
> Status: Detected a EOS D30
> Files in /:
> #1     IMG_8259.JPG                image/jpeg
> #2     IMG_8260.JPG                image/jpeg
> #3     IMG_8261.JPG                image/jpeg
> #4     IMG_8420.JPG                image/jpeg
> 
> --get-all-images works but crashes if i touch a D30 button.

--list-files, --get-image and --get-all-images are the most important
functions and therefore those which work best :-)

The crash after pressing a button is permissible considering we don't
tell the camera to lock its keys.

These are all stuff we're working on. I joined the team to improve the
canon driver in the first place, but it appeared more important to do
some work on the common gphoto2 infrastructure first.

In case you're using a current Redhat Linux i386 and do not want to
compile your own software from CVS: I try to maintain an inofficial
but reasonably current set of RPM packages at

  http://n-dimensional.de/packages/RPMS/i386/

featuring libusb, gphoto2 and gtkam.

Uli

 
From: Lutz =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= 
To: gphoto-devel 
Subject: Re: [gphoto-devel] Problem with canon D30 support

On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 12:30, David ROBERT wrote:

    The third problem is using the gphoto2 shell and trying to download
    an image :

Fixed in CVS. Thanks for the report.

Lutz
                                                        \|||/
+------------------------------------------------+      (o o)
| Lutz Mueller           +49 (7156) 34837        +---ooO-(_)-Ooo---+
|                                                                  |
| Hans-Sachs-Strasse 5                                             |
| 71254 Ditzingen        http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Lutz.Mueller |
| Germany                urc8@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de                  |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:52:32 +0200
From: David ROBERT 
To: gphoto-devel@gphoto.net

Hans Ulrich Niedermann a écrit :

 
> I think I'm going to compile a list of people with different cameras
> so that we know who to address when we need a test run on a certain
> type of or a wide range of cameras. May I include you there?

Yes of course, I want to help as much as possible

I have just downloaded the last CVS and I confirm that the shell
bug is fixed : I can now download an individual file using the
shell client.

David.



(c)2001 David ROBERT - Ce site est une initiative personnelle, ce n'est pas un site officiel canon, il n'est pas lié non plus à monphotographe.com qui héberge gracieusement ce site.